It is devastating for a client when they realize that 25% of their paycheck is gone to a creditor, or when they check their bank account balance and learn that their balance is down to $0.00 because they’ve been garnished. If you’ve been garnished, we can help you to not only stop the garnishment, but possible recover that money for you as well. Even if you haven’t been garnished, but you’ve been sued by a creditor, you can be certain that a garnishment is coming in the future. We can help you to stop the garnishment.
There are various options to stopping a garnishment, which may include:
- Filing for Chapter 7 bankruptcy
- Filing for Chapter 13 bankruptcy
- Setting up a repayment plan
- Debt settlement
- Claiming your funds as exempt if your source of income is exempt, such as retirement or disability
- Disputing the amount owed, usually because you've paid a portion or the balance in full previously
- Objecting to the garnishment, usually because the creditor did not follow the proper procedures, or if you already paid the amount owing
If you don’t dispute the debt, but also don’t have the funds available to repay the debt, filing for Chapter 7 or Chapter 13 bankruptcy may be the right option for you. We offer a free consultation to discuss your options.